Whether you’re fighting writers block or just want to spruce up your blog content, some days can be tougher than others to create a great blog post.
As a matter of fact, as I did my research for this article I found that most writers abandon their blog within 2-3 months. Know what the number one reason is? A loss of interest: both on your part and that of your readers.
So how can you stay committed to writing creative, high quality content that keeps your readers engaged and hungry for more?
Do Your Homework
You wouldn’t start hiking a 14,000 foot mountain without researching and preparing any more than you should write an article without knowing the facts. So before throwing that post out there, spend time investigating your topic.
- Google It! – Google has loads of tools for bloggers from your basic Google search to the Google Keyword Toolbox – a treasure trove of gadgets that will speak to your blogger soul!
- Research keywords – Keywordresearch is incredibly important tothesearch engine optimization of your site. With keyword research you determine what your clients are searching for and what terms will receive the most Google juice. There are many options for keyword research, the most popular being Google’s Keyword Tool.
- Link It – If you’re talking about technical or industry terms that some may not know, make sure you link out for further information and if possible, even provide charts to support your findings.
No one wants to retract information because of a lack of preparation!
Know Your Niche
Are you writing for you or writing to provide well thought out and fact supported tips and advice for your clients? Clients of course! Understanding and knowing what your target audience is interested in comes down to:
- Defining who they are
- Determining what your blog is about
Next step is to ask yourself:
- Have I identified what my niche is and whether there’s a market for it?
- Have I researched my competition? Do I know what they are doing well and what I could do better?
Take a Stand
There’s nothing more frustrating (or boring) than reading a blog with a “middle of the road” stance. Get passionate about what you write and be willing to take the opposing side. Are you writing about a hot topic but fear you’ll be crucified due to your position? Well get over it! Readers gravitate towards blogs that have a voice and a tone. How can your blog have either if you never spell out who you are and what you believe in?
This has a lot do with numbers 3 & If you’re being honest with your readers about who you are, it’s very easy to take a stand about what you believe. Authenticity goes a long way to building loyalty and if people (ie clients) don’t feel a connection to you, then they’re not buyin’ what you’re sellin’!
There’s no use blogging if you’re not enjoying it! Enjoy what you write about and get to know your readers. Engagement and feedback will add fuel to your creative fire and keep you focused and excited about your blog!
Full disclosure: Links on this page may be affiliate links which means that if you decide to buy, I will earn a commission. 3 things you need to know: I only recommend products I use within my own business, am extremely happy with, and can confidently promote.